What is Feminized Seeds
If you are shopping for cannabis seeds, you may come across all sorts of odd phrases and expressions. You may read about feminized seeds, photoperiod plants, autoflowers, males, females, hybrids, hermaphrodites, and much more. If you’re just starting out with growing weed, there’s no doubt all this can seem quite confusing.
But don’t fret! These concepts may seem intimidating, but they’re perfectly understandable once you get an explanation. While we want to explain everything at once, we’ll go one at a time, focusing on feminized seeds for today.
Until not too long ago, if one was growing cannabis from seed, there was always a 50% chance each plant would be male. However, only female plants grow buds rich in cannabinoids such as THC and CBD.
Male plants produce seed pods, and, if they stick around long enough, they’ll pollinate the female plants and dramatically reduce their yields. Because of that, those growing regular seeds had to identify the sex of their plants as soon as possible to cull the males.
Then, the creation of feminized seeds in the 1990s revolutionized cannabis cultivation. Feminized seeds are genetically engineered to only become female plants, and they almost always (99.9%) do so. Eliminating the game of chance, this advancement made growing cannabis much easier, as well as more economical.
Feminized cannabis seeds tend to be designed to produce photoperiod plants. Photoperiod cannabis blooms depending on the daylight/darkness hours. Out in nature, cannabis starts to flower at the end of summer when the days get shorter. Indoors, photoperiod cannabis is kept in the vegetative phase until the grower is ready to induce bloom by reducing light hours.
• Feminized seeds have a high amount of cannabinoids compared to male cannabis. Strains are often bred for maximum potency and aroma.
• Feminized seeds are 99.9% feminized, so plants will almost always develop into females.
• No need to check the sex of plants, and no need to discard male plants.
High-quality feminized seeds on the market today most often produce plants rich in THC. As the main psychotropic component in cannabis, all types of cannabis users enjoy the cannabinoid for the powerful high it initiates.
• Recreational users enjoy the stoning, relaxing, euphoric, or uplifting high induced by feminized seeds strains. Given the vast variety of options out there, users can find some chill time in the evening or enjoy an energetic daytime buzz, depending on what they’re after. Also, since many strains feature different ratios of cannabinoids, terpenes, and Sativa/Indica genetics, you can experiment with different feminized seeds strains to find a sweet spot in terms of effect.
• Those who use cannabis for holistic purposes also choose feminized seeds strains for their pronounced effect. They may find that the THC lifts their mood and helps them wind down intense situations, or simply takes the edge off whatever symptom they’re dealing with. Users also report that THC helps them achieve a good night’s sleep, along with other benefits.
Feminized cannabis seeds are the “easiest” seeds to grow after the Auto-flowering varieties. Feminized seeds mean that they are treated to make them female (hence the name feminized) so that all the seeds can be used to get flowers. Breeders usually sell feminized seeds for their strains because they are easier to grow and are too unstable to reproduce, although some people use plants from feminized seeds to get cuttings, they should use females from Regular seeds. It is recommendable to start growing with Feminized seeds, this will mean that the final plant won’t have any undesirable surprises like seeds reducing potency since there are no male plants.
We at the G420 Seed Shop has about 150 feminized cannabis seed varieties to choose from. Come on…grow the best weed in the world at home.